Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Breeding Schedules  (Read 1084 times)

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Contributing Member
    • Google+
    • View Profile
    • Nipper Software
Breeding Schedules
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:49 am »

Some people have problems breeding their rabbits and getting them to have kits. Well I have been breeding them forever and one thing I have found is that a rabbit has to stay in practice when it comes to breeding and kindling. I keep my mother rabbits on a schedule and breed them every so many days according to their age. The young does are started at 47 days and that means the doe is bred to the buck every 47 days. She stays on that schedule for the first two years and then is rescheduled for a higher number of days between breeding. I use the https://rabbitbreeder.net website to keep up with when to breed. A new mother may take a couple of tries before she gets it right so have patience and make sure the mother is calm and has a nestbox on day 27 of her pregnancy. I give my rabbits treats of carrots and other veggies and also spend time cutting their toe nails and grooming them. This helps keep them calm and they get to know you better. Then when it comes time to breed, the doe will be more receptive.
Keep some clean fur in a bag by collecting some when does pull too much. This will come in handy when does urinate in the nestbox. Check the nestbox everyday to make sure that there are no dead kits and that mom did not use it as a bathroom last night. If that happens, clean the nestbox and add new hay and some of the fur you have saved. You have to make the nest yourself because mother rabbits will not. Also try to keep the kits in the back of the nestbox so mom does not jump right on top of them when she enters the nest for nursing.
Get the nestbox out as soon as the kits have opened their eyes and the weather permits. The nestbox is a source of contamination and germs so the sooner the kits can get out the better. Unless it is really cold weather I remove the nestbox on day 12 after kindling. Start handling kits right away so they get to know you.
If the doe is set at a fast schedule such as 47 days then the kits will need to be weaned around 4 weeks. The doe will kindle again two weeks later so she can have a little rest. If you wish to keep the kits with the mother for a longer period then you cannot use a 47 day schedule. Instead say for an 8 weeks weaning, the doe should be set to around 72 days to give her time to wean and then rest for two weeks.
Those of you who breed only a couple times a year or less will sometimes see does that are not in practice and don't know what to do so they are not very receptive and can have problems breeding, kindling, and raising kits. If having too many kits is a problem then solve this by giving the unwanted kits away or selling them or learn to butcher them. Rabbit meat is the best there is.
Ken Nipper
Creator and Developer - RabbitBreeder.Net